Wednesday 20 October 2010

The Move

They all say that moving can be a stressful time. Trying to organise all your stuff and neatly pack them into boxes, make sure you haven't left anything and once that's all done, you can relax until that stressful move. Unfortunately, my move from the cold island of Shetland to the bright lights of Edinburgh wasn't so blissful.

My last week in Shetland began on the Monday. I had left my job the day before and I had a thousand things to do before I was on the boat on Thursday. On Monday was my little sisters birthday, so I had to go over and see her. On the Tuesday, my flatmate Sian told me the next day she would come and pick my stuff up, so I better have packed everything. I hadn't quite packed everything, in fact I had only packed a box. After hours of packing, my old room looked so bare, however there was still some of my stuff lying around which I wasn't taking.

On the day of my move, which was also pay day, I booked my ticket for the boat. Not having much sleep the night before (I only had a stupid thin blanket with holes in it) I was pretty tired. Then I got my phone bill and most of my money went to that. Saying goodbye to my friends, I took my two bags and suitcases and boarded onto the boat.

12 hours later...

The boat docked at Aberdeen. I struggled off the boat. Pushing the button on the lift, I noticed it was out of order. So I had to drag all my heavy luggage down a flight of stairs. My unlucky strike was only just beginning.

Once I was outside, I realised I had NO idea how to get to the bus terminal. I knew where it was, it was just how to get there. I also hadn't anticipated how far the walk and how heavy my luggage was. After eventually getting directions, I got there. I bought my ticket and found a "hole in the wall". Looking at my bank balance, I realised I only had £10 left...great.

Getting on the bus was a bit of a disaster. I was constantly worried that I would miss my stop, or get off somewhere where I wasn't meant to. It was a disaster.

Luckily for me my friend Sarah met me at the bus stop to help me get to the housing place to get the keys and help me with the luggage. Thank god for her help! Unfortunately, my flat and the housing place were at opposite sides of the city. Not only that, I was dying from the heat, it was freezing when I left Shetland and not being able to change, I had to keep my hoody on.

So after taking a lot of buses (and with a little help from Google Maps) we eventually got to my flat. I thought my unlucky strike was over. How very wrong was I! One of the locks was jammed and we had to wait outside my flat for over an hour waiting to get in. Although, we did have fun playing I spy

From that moment on I vowed never to move ever again (well, not so far anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment