Friday 15 October 2010

The Interview

Having just moved to the city, my flatmate and I decided instead of staying in and trying to connect to the internet we would celebrate our arrival to the city and get wasted. After having a couple of drinks, we went out and met up with some friends. It was Saturday and we both didn't have anything important to do the next day...

After nearly getting into a fight (her not me), having way too much to drink and stealing a jumper, we decided to go home. It was after 6.30am when we got home so god knows what time I went to bed.

All of a sudden, I hear my phone ringing. Sitting up and feeling the room spin, I looked at the unrecognised number and answered. It was from a shop I had applied to work in a couple of days back, and he was asking me to come in for an interview as soon as possible. Still slightly confused by what was going on, I agreed the half an hour interview. I looked at the clock and it was 2pm.

Then panic struck

The place was 20 minutes away on foot, and I didn't have any money for the bus! Jumping out of my bed like a superhero, I quickly got dressed. I have to say, I did look nice. Thinking I would stink of booze, I scrubbed my teeth and almost suffocated in deodorant. Then I realised I was still tipsy, but it didn't matter, I had to get to the shopping centre!

Upon my arrival at the shopping centre, I realised I hadn't actually heard which shop it was (I applied to a lot of shops) Luckily, I remembered him saying if I got lost, I was to call him.

So when I finally got there, he told me he wanted to get a chance to meet me in person and see if I was suitable for the job. It was a standing interview and I thought I answered his questions really well, I was quite pleased with myself.

Then tragedy struck

As he was written down where the shop was, I began to get a cold sweat. Trying to concentrate on what he was saying, I slyly leaned against the counter. Then little black spots began to appear. Then more, and more. Before I knew it, I couldn't see or hear him anymore. All I could think was "Don't faint in the shopping centre!" over and over again. Then I started to get a lump in my throat, so my next line of thought was "DON'T BE SICK!"

Fortunately for me (I think) the man saw I was in state of collapse and rushed to get me water. That managed to calm me down a little. He then asked me if I took any drugs, which I said no, which is true. Although, from his point of view, I could see why he would think that. Someone stinking of booze and almost collapsing in his store.

He did say he admired my commitment to get here and gave me a trail! Unfortunately, it was an unpaid trial at a Scottish tourist shop run by chavs... I lasted a day.

After thanking him for the opportunity, I knew I needed to be sick (the sign of success) and ran to find the toilets. When I eventually did, I phoned my flatmate, dragged her out of bed to come and fetch me. By time she walked over, I was fine and didn't need any help

Moral of the story! Always arrange another interview date if you were out the night before! You only have one chance to make a good first impression!

No comments:

Post a Comment