Tuesday 21 December 2010

The One Where I Got Locked Out

My flatmates have gone back to the wonderful island of Shetland, leaving me to defend for myself. I have to admit, everything was going smoothly and I was actually enjoying living on my own until today. I locked myself out. The thing was, I knew something like this would happen to and have been reminding myself to double check I had keys. Today, I forgot

Everything was fine until I realised I needed milk. So as I was dashing through the snow (See what I did there :P) I realised I had left my wallet. It was only until I was outside my door when I realised my keys were inside, along with my wallet and mobile. My only possible way to get back into the flat were is Shetland so I was stuck with this little problem.

I knew I couldn't just stand there so I decided now was the best time to meet my neighbours. I tried every door but no-one answered. On the last door, I heard someone inside and not wanting to feel defeated, I knocked very loudly. Luckily, the guy was nothing I imagined (a balding grumpy fat guy) and very generously gave me coffee and let me use his phone to call the landlord.

Of course, this all happened out of hours, so the office was closed. On their little answering machine thing, they left numbers, luckily one of them was for a locksmith. I hadn't considered my luck getting any worse until the guy told me the price, £80 plus VAT to let me back in. And they needed payment on that day in cash.

I didn't have £80 to spare! Luckily the man was nice about it and said they would charge me at a later date and would call me back on that number when he was on his way. So there I was, in a typical boy's flat, trying to find somewhere clean to sit. I was like a UK version of Bree Van De Kamp. Although saying that, they were really nice and asked me if my place was dirty. I replied politely saying sometimes, although what I meant was yer right!

After a few more minutes of conversation, one of the guys had an idea, we could try and break into my flat. They all rushed to find something they could use. Coming out with bits of thin plastic, they made way to my day. I had to admit, I thought they would fail. But they didn't give up, and it worked!

So what have I learned from this experience?
1) Always make sure I have my keys with me BEFORE I leave the house
2) Always dress to impress, don't wear your pyjamas under your clothes, even if I am just nipping to the shops, and
3) Make sure I lock all the locks when I leave the flat/ go to bed, since it's so easy to break in!

And the moral of this story is
Love Thy Neighbour, for you may need them to break into your home!

No comments:

Post a Comment