Thursday 30 December 2010

2000 Presents vs 2010 Presents

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and hope everyone didn't overspend! 2011 is soon!

According to a newspaper article I was reading, the most thing children wanted for Christmas this year wasn't dolls or toy cars, but gadgets. The top 3 spots were all Apple products. Is it me, or is children's tastes getting more expensive as the years roll by?

I don't see why a parent would give a child an iPhone. Yes, I can see them giving their child a cheap phone which doesn't cost much and using it mainly for getting in contact with one another but an iPhone? What if the child breaks it? It really ain't that hard, I should know, I've done it. What happens then? You spend a fortune getting it fixed and give it back to them? Children can be really clumsy!

Giving girls dolls seems like a thing of the past now
Its not like they can pay the bills every month and I doubt you could give them a limit on what they can spend each month downloading apps etc. Hell they can hardly afford chocolate! And when are they going to really use it? At school when they're supposed to be working? Not really giving a strong message here!

Parents complain that children should act their age, tell them you only get one childhood and complain that things on TV are unsuitable for children and then give them grown up things like that? It's all a bit silly really.

When I was 10, I got Pokemon cards. Yes it sounds like I should be 100 as it sounds like such an ancient thing to get, but it was only 11 years ago. They may not have had the same features as any piece of technology but they did bring out hours of entertainment. And you could collect hundreds of them for under a fiver. Lose one? Chances were you could find another minutes later. Lose an iPhone and its a costly business.

You can bend them, dunk them in water, even drop them and they'd be fine
I think giving children costly gifts every year is an extremely bad idea. It sends out a bad message and it can make them ungrateful and give them the attitude I want I get. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but if I had kids, I wouldn't give them an iPhone when they're children!

No comments:

Post a Comment