Friday 25 February 2011

My Younger-self VS Birthdays

A few days ago, my sister Amy uploaded baby pictures of us on Facebook, which got me reminiscing about the past. Ahh the good old days when you had no responsibility, tonnes of holidays and the biggest threat was "I'm telling".

When I was younger, in my head if you were born first, then by law you should have you're birthday first. It was only fair! Well it came up to my sister birthday one day and I couldn't understand why her birthday was before mine. This is when the calender and time made no sense to me at all. She was born in April and I was born in July.

Me & Amy - my future partner in crime
 I remember being furious that my parents decided to celebrate her birthday before mine, it was completely illogical to me and she had done nothing terribly outstanding to get presents before me! Yes, that's what it all came down to, my jealously of her getting presents and cake before me and I would have to wait ages before the same happened to me.

Then my brother was born, in February. I couldn't believe it. My parents had decided their third child was more important than me! At the age of 7 when it was his first birthday, I decided to get Amy in on my jealously. She was as furious as me. So we decided to confront our mother about the matter

My brother - the constant pain in my neck
Our mother explained to us about how the calender works and gave us the reason why his birthday was before ours. We didn't believe her of course and spent the rest of the day resenting his existence.

As time wore on, our jealously lessened and the whole 'their birthdays are before mine' didn't matter anymore. That was until my brother Matthew decided he would make our birthdays about him. Amy and I didn't really care because well we were better than him. However Matthew made the fatal mistake of deciding from that day on, every birthday he was at, he would blow out the birthday cake candles - the big finale of the day.

Everyone thought it was cute. Amy however, did not. He had stolen her thunder, and for the rest of the year, he paid for it. Especially when he did the same to me. And when our younger sister Jemma was old enough, we got her to do the same thing he did to us - blow out the birthday candles. We got our payback - and some cake too!

No comments:

Post a Comment